12 Natural Ways to Combat Hot Flashes
Not so long ago, hot flashes were something that women didn’t talk about in public. Anything having to do with “the change” was whispered about and hidden. Today, women are open about this natural part of the aging process. They fan themselves and joke about hot flashes openly. But that doesn’t mean that they enjoy them any more than they used to!
If you’re at the point where you’re having hot flashes, the first step to stopping them is to understand what they are. Whether they appear at night as night sweats and disrupt your sleep, or happen during the day and interrupt your daily activities, hot flashes are the most common sign that you’re going through menopause or are about to. Even though they impact half the adult population, we still don’t understand why they happen. We do know that the blood vessels under the skin dilate and cause the sensation, and that there are plenty of ways to deal with them — which, if you suffer from hot flashes, is probably very welcome news.
So let’s not delay another second. Here are some of the most popular and effective ways to handle hot flashes.
- Since many people believe that hot flashes are linked to stress, try stress-relieving exercises like yoga or meditation. Deep breathing for 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes at night, and during hot flashes is also helpful.
- Dress in layers so you can take off or add clothing as needed.
- Cut out caffeine, spicy foods, and alcohol.
- Many people have found that soy products can cut hot flashes, but there are also concerns about their safety. Check with your physician before increasing your intake of soy products like tofu, soy milk and edamame.
If you get night sweats, your best bet is to stay as cool as possible during the night.
- Choose lightweight pajamas. There are many brands made of wicking material.
- Choose layers of lightweight bedding instead of a heavy comforter so you can adjust your temperature more easily.
- Keep a fan on in your bedroom.
- Drink plenty of water. Keep ice water next to your bed to sip throughout the night.
- Put an ice pack under your pillow so when you turn your pillow over, you will always have a cool side.
Giving some — or all — of these natural hot flash remedies a try can really make a difference to your energy levels and overall functionality. So get started today and feel the sweet relief.
What is your favorite way to combat hot flashes? Share in the comments below!
You might also like:
The post Feelin’ Hot, Hot, Hot? Cool Off Quick with These 12 Natural Hot Flash Remedies appeared first on DanetteMay.
This content was originally published here.